Monday, October 22, 2012

Pink and Grey in the Nursery

I'm currently working on a nursery set for family friends.  Spencer and Jordana are expecting a little girl in January and they have decided on a pink and grey color scheme. 

I love the look of this sweet and contemporary palette, but maybe I love it so much because it has a touch of vintage.

This past summer I purchased an embroidered nursery quilt top I thought would be a fun hand quilting project for snowy, cold, winter nights.  This design is the Bedtime Quilt or the Quaddie Quiltie series by Rubie McKim in 1916 for the Kansas City Star. 

The top measures 61" x 50" and has 20 different embroidered characters.  It is in great condition with no staining, holes or condition issues for its age.  A simple quilting pattern will bring it to life.

A very wise owl.



Jump forward a few decades.

I picked up this embroidered and painted pillow cover at an estate sale hidden in a box lot.  This has the Voguart stamp on the inside selvage; Voguart was a combination of  embroidery and painting.  In this pillow top the grey spots and pink backgrounds were painted.  I'm thinking this might be a cute design for applique.  Who doesn't love a puppy?

Sorry, but just an opportunity for Indiana to say Hi!

So back to a current pink and grey palette with the start of the baby quilt.  A simple 6 inch nine patch block is dynamic with the limited colors.

The finished quilt will be 36" by 48" - 48 blocks.  Some of the prints have a touch of red and blue to give it a little spark.  
More developments later as I want to share my crib sheet directions.  For the nursery I'm doing sheets to coordinate with the quilt and crib skirt.  Tutorial to follow this week!


1 comment:

  1. Eager to see your progress ... I know it will all look amazing. Always great to see Indiana! (Thanks for watching the debate with us last night!!!)

    ReplyDelete