Saturday, August 4, 2012

Surprises around the corner...

This morning was the traditional trip to the dump.  Saturday mornings the car gets filled and off my husband goes on this chore that I prefer not to touch with a ten foot pole.

However, this morning there was a sale not too far from the landfill, so off I went with him, bags of refuse in tow.

Sometimes, life just throws you a surprise when you're not expecting it...



Look what I found!!!

Big Ben?  Is this possibly an Olympic themed fabric?

Dog fabrics are always winners!

Who doesn't love Halloween?


Okay, wait.... I need to explain.  This isn't what I purchased at the sale, this is what I found at home because I had to clean out my containers in order to store my new purchases.

I had this tucked in the bottom of a bin and had forgotten I had it because it was concealed by a baby quilt!!!  I was as excited as the day I put in the last stitch.

The pattern is from a Fons and Porter magazine. Mary Koval reproduced the pattern from an antique fan quilt from her own quilt collection.  Her vintage quilt dated from the 1950's .

I loved the fabrics I had selected for the fans and I had more fun using the embroidery stitch pattern from my sewing machine rather than hand embroidering with black floss  -  this was one of the few times my machine had done anything other than a straight stitch.

Maybe the reminder of having this assembled quilt top is what I needed in order to finish it off? 

And my sale purchases?? ... some fun percales and a tin filled with belt buckles.

 I was able to replenish my bin of wooden spools which was EMPTY.  But darn it all....sometimes the grass is actually greener in your own storage space. :)   As Dorothy said, "there's no place like home".


5 comments:

  1. Love this pattern. Saw the original hanging in the Fons & Porter quilt shop in Winterset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn, when I saw the quilt in the magazine, I knew I had to make it. F&P magazine has had several vintage quilts that I couldn't resist making. Another favorite is a bars baby quilt with double pinks. :) Do you live close to their shop?

      Delete
  2. Wow pat how could you forget you had this gem! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I worked at a quilt shop where the owner wanted employees to make shop samples. After making so many quilt tops for so many different fabric lines, it is easy to just put something aside. It is different when you create an original pattern or design as you do; you build your own storyline into your creation. Some of my quilting was more whack and sew, read the pattern and no thinking required.

      Delete
  3. I was going to ask the same as Chris ... I think that quilt is unforgettable! (When you started talking about hitting the transfer station first, I thought you were going to say you found it at the Swap Shop!)

    ReplyDelete