Saturday, December 10, 2011

On the second day of Christmas...

...my true love gave to me
two vintage needle cases...
.
How wonderful when any kind of paper products survive over the years.  Thank you to the seamstress who valued these for either their graphics or a special memory.....or could she have even forgotten she had them?  No matter, we can now enjoy them.

The first needle case has the image of the Woolworth Building in New York City.  The structure was completed in 1913 and it remained the tallest building in the world until the Chrysler Building in 1930. It's image is an iconic reminder of the changing world and movement towards the sky.   New York City has a Skyscraper Museum and when I visited it last year it was shocking to see a display comparing the skyscrapers of the US to those in other cities throughout the world!  If you're ever in New York City by Battery Park do yourself a favor and take the time to visit the museum and then go to Tear Drop Park

The other needle case has the equestrian on one side and the other....

 ..has an Orientalist image of a  provocative woman (can't get my eye away from the big floral blossom on the bossom) with a seductive beckoning glance with the magnificent stead behind her.  Okay... not sure the year this was printed.   Her beautiful cascading hair and her pose and glance is iconic of Orientalist art of the 19th century. 

When the cases are opened, the needles are revealed....

and the graphics are just as appealing.  I love the spiderweb  background design.

And as I promised Martha, some more fabric images from the Tumbler Quilt from the 1st day of Christmas.
 Two more conversation prints.  The dogs on the left and then the picture below I had to make larger to reveal the adorable little boxers.  This seamstress did love animals!

A conversation print of dressmaker's pins.  I love it!!



 The next two photos are of neon blacks.  Wait, "neon blacks" is the term fabric collectors use today, but in their day, theywere called fancy black novelties or black novelty goods as listed in the 1896 Sears Catalog (See Barbara Brackman's Making History Quilts & Fabric from 1890-1910, p. 30-31).

When I was first learning about textiles, I always found it hard to believe these prints were turn of the century.  They are so dynamic and the colors look like they are popping from the surface.  Take a look at the one below that looks like firecrackers exploding in the night sky!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the closeups of the fabulous prints in this piece. I adore those little shirting and conversation prints, but my favorites are those black novelties. Now I want to go through my stash of antique fabrics and see if I might have any.

    I'm so excited that you decided to start blogging. Barbara was right -- we really do have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete