Thursday, December 15, 2011

On the seventh day of Christmas...

my true love gave to me
...seven sewing baskets


...a small wooden accordion style filled with embroidery thread,

..one small wooden sewing basket that looks like an ark!

...two woven baskets, both 20th century.
Three plastic baskets.  The bottom floral is the 1970's, the middle is 1960's and the top is 1950's.




























It only makes sense that if you have a hobby which requires you to have special supplies, you are going to need containers or a method of storage for those objects. Just think of all the wonderful sewing treasures these baskets once contained - seam gauges, rulers, sewing needles, pins, pin cushions and scissors of all shapes and sizes.  

I fondly remember my first sewing basket with a tan plastic woven base and a cushioned fabric top.  I have no idea what happened to it over the years, but its demise may have been it had gotten too small for my needs.  Just reminiscing about this sewing basket has made me realize what a wonderful present for the novice who is interested in learning how to sew.  Fill it with everything they need to create to their hearts content and you will have given a memory to last a lifetime!




No comments:

Post a Comment